by peace_of_hope @ graphic_hope
+Made with CS2
1. Crop or resize your base to 100 x 100. For this icon, my original image had white space left after I'd resized, so I went back in and added in the grey to match.
2. Add in a color fill layer with #dadbec (layers > new fill layer > solid color) and set to color burn 100%
3. Add in another color fill layer with #b8c7d1 and set to soft light 100%
4. Add in another color fill layer with #a98383 and set to overlay 100%
5. Add in a selective color layer (layers > new adjustment layer > selective color) with these values:
Reds: -38, 0, 0, 0
Cyans: -100, 0, 0, 0
Magentas: -100, -100, 0, +100
Neutrals: +58, 0, 0, -12
6. Add in another color fill layer with #686447 and set to soft light 100%
7. Add in another selective color layer with these values:
Reds: -100, 0, 0, +52
Yellows: -100, 0, +100, 0
Neutrals: +24, 0, -23, 0
8. Add in another color fill layer with #080d26 and set to exclusion 100%
9a. This coloring technique works for 80% of the bases I use. If, after trying this technique, your icon does not look good, try duplicating the base and putting that layer right above the base (under all the color fills and selective coloring layers) set to soft light. If that still does not make your icon look good, duplicate the soft light base layer (layers > duplicate layer) and set that to screen. Play around with the opacity of these.
9b. If your icon has too much red in it, adjust the colors by inserting a selective color layer above your base with these levels:
Reds: +100, 0, 0, 0
Yellows: +80, 0,-30, 0
Conversely, if there is too much blue, add another selective color layer in and on your cyans and blues, add more red and yellow. Add in a light bit of red (-20 or less) under neutrals as well, and this should give your icon more dimension.
If these extra steps do not make your icon look good, then there may be no hope. :)
10. Finish with textures. For this icon I have used a grunge texture with the font Pea Randa.
.psd file HERE
Other icons made with this tutorial:
Feedback on this tutorial would be lovely. Also, you can request another tutorial if there's an icon on which you'd like to see my technique. Just drop me a comment! :)